Today we want to make a small tribute to this great little Greek cheese that cheers our recipes. Whether it is a dough of bread, a sauce, a salad, the filling of a pie and more, the truth is that it brings a very special touch. Here we leave you seven recipes with feta cheese for a snack with Greek airs.
Kolokithoke you or zucchini and feta fritters
Kolokithoke you! By this palabreja the zucchini and feta cheese fritters are known in Greece. A delicious and traditional snack of Greek cuisine that has conquered us at the first bite. Tender, juicy, aromatic, the Kolokithoke you have already become a place of honor in our kitchen. Do you dare to prepare them?
- Ingredients for four people: 1 zucchini, 1 onion, 100 g of feta cheese, 100 g of goat’s cheese, 1 egg, fresh dill, fresh parsley, fresh peppermint, 60 g of breadcrumbs, 75 g of wheat flour, salt, ground black pepper, and extra virgin olive oil.
- Elaboration: Wash and grate the zucchini and onion, previously peeled. We place both in a strainer, in a deep bowl, and let drain for 30 minutes. We press from time to time to help him release as much liquid as possible. Meanwhile, we wash and dry the fresh herbs. Finely chop each of them. We need a spoonful of each type. In a deep bowl, crush the feta and goat cheese, add the egg and chopped herbs, breadcrumbs and flour. We stir well until homogenizing, it may be easier to use the hands because the mixture is thick. Then we transfer the zucchini and onion drained to a large and deep bowl. Salpimentamos to taste. Add the previous mass, little by little, and stir until integrated. When we have a homogeneous dough we heat abundant olive oil in a pan. We take portions of the dough, helping us with a couple of spoons, and let them fall into the hot oil. We fry well on both sides, that they are golden brown. Remove from the pan with the help of a slotted spoon and place them on a piece of absorbent paper to remove excess fat. Place the kolokithokefáis or zucchini and feta cheese croquettes on a tray and serve with yogurt sauce, tzatziki or some lemon wedges. Remove from the pan with the help of a slotted spoon and place them on a piece of absorbent paper to remove excess fat. Place the kolokithokefáis or zucchini and feta cheese croquettes on a tray and serve with yogurt sauce, tzatziki or some lemon wedges. Remove from the pan with the help of a slotted spoon and place them on a piece of absorbent paper to remove excess fat. Place the kolokithokefáis or zucchini and feta cheese croquettes on a tray and serve with yogurt sauce, tzatziki or some lemon wedges.
Breaded feta cheese with pink pepper honey and thyme
There are recipes that dazzle at first sight for its simplicity and because its ingredients are so tasty that we know immediately that we will like them. This is what is going to happen to you with this feta cheese breaded with the honey of pink pepper and thyme. You may find it strange to think about cooking feta cheese, but we have tried it before and we assure you it looks great.
- Ingredients for four people: honey, pink pepper or other variety, fresh thyme, 200 g of feta block, 1 egg, 30 g of breadcrumbs, olive oil for frying. To accompany cherry tomatoes, zest of 1 lemon and fresh basil.
- Preparation: We aromatize the honey by adding a little pink pepper, to taste, or the type that we like the most along with some fresh thyme leaves. We stir well and reserve. Drain the feta cheese and dry it with absorbent paper. It has to be very dry. Then we breaded by egg and then breadcrumbs. Be sure to cover it well so that it does not splash during the frying. Heat a little oil in a pan and fry the breaded feta cheese over medium heat until golden brown, turning so that it is done well on all sides. Serve sprinkling breaded feta cheese with a drizzle of honey and some cherry tomatoes seasoned with lemon zest, chopped fresh basil, and extra virgin olive oil.
Greek feta cheese cupcakes
These Greek feta cheese cupcakes are a delicious snack that melts the softness of the milk with the intense flavor of the feta cheese, resulting in a spongy and aromatic dough that will captivate you. They are an ideal snack for a snack meal or to take to a picnic, as they can be prepared in advance and are easy to transport.
- Ingredients for 12 units: 140 g of flour, 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of fennel seeds, 2 eggs, 1 egg white, 300 g of milk, 40 g of butter, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of yeast Chemistry, 200 g of sliced feta cheese and 100 g of grated gruyère cheese.
- Preparation: We start by preheating the oven to 200ºC. Mix the flour and fennel seeds. Mix the eggs, the white, the milk, the butter, the salt, and the cheeses and beat well until homogenized. Add the flour and fennel seeds and stir until lumps remain. Divide the dough between 10 or 12 greased muffin molds and bake about 25 minutes, until golden brown.
Feta cheese with vegetable en papillote
For many years we have prepared this feta cheese with vegetables in papillote and every day we do it we like it better. We love the combination of flavors and textures, which transform with the heat of the oven. Feta cheese keeps its shape, but it becomes sweet and juicy, which makes it a delicacy. Especially fresh out of the oven and with a good bread next to it.
- Ingredients for four people: 200 g of feta cheese in the block, 100 g of onion, 100 g of red pepper, 100 g of green pepper, dried oregano, garlic powder, ground black pepper, and extra virgin olive oil.
- Elaboration: Turn on the oven at 180ºC with heat up and down. While it is heating we prepare the vegetables. We wash the peppers, remove the seeds and the peduncle and cut them into thin strips. Peel the onion and cut it into very fine julienne. We cut two equal rectangles of foil large enough to wrap vegetables and cheese in them. Place the onion and peppers on the base of one of the rectangles and, on them, the feta cheese. Sprinkle with oregano, pepper and garlic granules. Place the remaining rectangle on the cheese and fold the edges until the package is closed tightly. We introduce the papillote in the oven and roast for 15 minutes. We remove, open carefully so as not to burn, water with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and serve immediately.
Nachos with zucchini, jalapeño, and feta cheese
One of the appetizers that we like most are the nachos, but the classics with cheese sauce are very heavy for us. That’s why we invented formulas like this one, with zucchini, jalapeño, and feta, lighter and more refreshing. This time we have missed making our own nachos or tortilla chips, something very simple to do with our recipe.
- Ingredients for six people: 200 g of onion, 30 g of extra virgin olive oil, 1 jalapeño pepper, 300 g of zucchini, sweet paprika, 1 lettuce bud, fresh coriander, 150 g of feta cheese, 200 ml of cream for cook or milk, 200 g of corn nachos and 1 carrot.
- Elaboration: We start with the preparation of all the vegetables. Peel the onion and cut it into small pieces. Wash the zucchini, remove the ends and cut into small dice of equal size. Peel the carrot and cut it into dice. Open the jalapeño pepper in half, remove the seeds and chop it finely. Wash the lettuce bud, cut it in two halves lengthwise and then cut each half into fine julienne. Heat the oil in a saucepan and poach the onion over medium heat for about five minutes or until it begins to change color and soften. Add the carrot and take a couple of minutes. Then the diced zucchini along with the chopped jalapeno. Stir and cook five more minutes. Add a teaspoon of the sweet paprika, season and stir again. Finally, we add the lettuce and let it poach for a couple of minutes. We remove from heat. In a small saucepan we mix the cream and the feta cheese, previously chopped. We put it on low heat and let it melt while we work with a fork so that the cheese is incorporated into the cream as much as possible. We can use an electric mixer if we want a homogeneous mixture, but it is not necessary. We spread the nachos on a tray and heat them in the oven, pre-heated at 200 ° C in the up and down position, for five minutes. We place the hot nachos in a serving dish, intercalating them with the zucchini mixture and the cream cheese. We spread some fresh coriander leaves on the surface and serve immediately so that they do not lose temperature.
Tyrosine or cheese spirals
This is a recipe to prepare with time and calm, perfect to heat the kitchen to the heat of the oven. The tyropsomo are some Greeks spiral-shaped bread with feta cheese mass coming without feeling. Delicious freshly baked and hot, although we do not make them ugly at another time.
- Ingredients for four units: 150 g of common wheat flour, 150 g of force flour, 1 teaspoon of salt, 25 g of fresh baker’s yeast, 5 tablespoons of warm water, 1 tablespoon of honey, 4 tablespoons of olive oil Extra virgin, 120 ml of warm milk, 1 egg white, melted butter spread, 400 g of crumbled feta cheese, 1 egg yolk and 2 tablespoons of sesame seeds.
- Elaboration: In a large bowl, we sift the two types of flour with the salt. We unleave the yeast in a bowl with the warm water until obtaining a homogeneous mass. We form a hole in the center of the flour and pour inside the honey, oil, egg white and unleavened yeast in the water. We mix the dry ingredients and liquids until a sticky and fine dough is obtained. We dump it on a lightly floured surface and knead it until it is homogeneous. We spread a bowl with oil, form a ball with the dough, put it in the bowl, cover it and let it rise for about an hour or until it doubles in volume. We divide the dough into four equal portions. On a lightly floured surface, we extend each portion on a strip 3 mm thick and 6 cm long. We have a quarter of cheese along the center of each one. We moisten, fold and pinch the edges to seal them around the cheese and form four small bars. With the joint facing down, we screw the bars together, forming a wide spiral with each of them and place it in a baking dish spread with the melted butter or covered with a sheet of baking paper, with the joint facing down and well separated between Yes, so they don’t stick when growing. We preheat the oven to 200ºC. We paint the spirals with melted butter, cover them and let them leave for half an hour. Beat the egg yolk with a teaspoon of water, paint the spirals with this mixture and sprinkle them with sesame seeds. Bake for about 30 minutes, until golden brown.
Spanakopita or Greek pie with spinach, raisins, and feta cheese
Spanakopita or Greek pie with spinach, raisins and feta cheese is one of the most popular recipes of Greek cuisine. As common in those lands, as the Spanish omelet is in Spain, it is rare to find a bakery that does not sell it. The filling mixture can be enriched with a bit of poached onion, pine nuts, and thyme or dill, but we have not wanted to deviate in excess of the original recipe. With the spiral presentation, it was enough for us.
- Ingredients for six people: 12 slices of phyllo dough, 2 cloves of garlic, extra virgin olive oil for brushing, 900 g of fresh spinach, 200 g of feta cheese, 50 g of sultanas, 1 egg, salt, ground black pepper and fresh thyme to sprinkle.
- Elaboration: In a large saucepan with a little extra virgin olive oil, brown the minced garlic cloves. Add the spinach, season to taste and sauté for a couple of minutes. We drain the spinach well and temper. We beat the egg in a deep bowl along with the crumbled feta cheese and raisins. Add the spinach drained and mix. Brush a sheet of dough with olive oil. We place another sheet on top and grease again. We can use the third sheet, but this is optional. We place a part of the spinach filling on the longest end of the phyllo dough and wrap in a cylinder. We place in the center of a round mold, rolled on itself. We prepare more cylinders of phyllo dough and wrap around to cover the entire surface of the mold, forming a spiral. Brush with olive oil and bake in the oven, preheated to 180º C, for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with dried thyme when serving.