The first ones appear already at the end of spring, and until the beginning of autumn, we can still enjoy the Claudian plums, small but very tasty.
Actually there are also different varieties of this plum, being fundamentally two those that reach the market, the Green Queen and the one of Oullins, more yellowish. The green, usually more tiny, has a bone that detaches easily, they are very fleshy and sweet, even when they still seem very firm to the touch. Ideal for cooking with them.
Cook with Claudia plums
Like all stone fruit, Claudia plums lend themselves very well to the preparation of desserts, preserves and also salty recipes, especially accompanying meats or stews loaded with spices. It is perhaps less colorful than the varieties of purple or red tones, but its fantastic flavor far outweighs it.
If you want to try them in the kitchen without following any recipe, try to skip them quartered in the same pan where you have browned meat, with a little butter, some herbs, and a little brown sugar. A splash of red wine, sherry, port or brandy will scare you, also some broth.
Raising a little the amount of sugar or adding honey and orange juice, letting them loose their juices and with a touch of vanilla, cinnamon or cardamom, they are a delicious accompaniment for ice cream, cheesecakes or for rice pudding.
Claudia’s plum coulis for desserts
- Ingredients. 500 g of Claudius plums washed, 40 g of brown sugar, 40 ml of water (optional).
- Development. Cut the plums in half by removing the bones. We put them in a saucepan and pour the brown sugar. Let stand 15 minutes to release juices. If we want to skip this step we can directly add 40 ml of water to the mixture. We put the saucepan on the fire, cover and bring to a gentle boil. Cook 15 minutes or until the fruit is tender. We remove, let cool and pass through a sieve or Chinese. We pour the coulis into jars and refrigerate until ready to use. We can sterilize the boats to extend their conservation.
Claudias plum ice cream
- Ingredients for 2 people . 150 g of Claudius coulis, 15 g of flower honey, a pinch of salt, 100 ml of liquid cream and 50 ml of whole milk.
- Development. We will have the coulis at room temperature to make it simpler to mix it. We put the coulis in a jar with all the other ingredients and mix with some rods until we have a homogeneous cream. If we have ice cream maker, we will cool the mixture for a few hours before passing the mix to the machine, and if we are going to make the ice cream by hand, we must store the mix in a freezer-free container and beat the mixture every so often so that they do not believe ice crystals Cover the ice cream with baking paper before closing the container with a lid to avoid ice.
Moroccan style chicken with Claudia plum sauce
- Ingredients for 6 people. A chopped chicken or 4 whole breasts, 500 g of washed Claudius plums, 100 g of sugar, 200 ml of liquid cream, 1/2 glass of chicken broth, 1 tablespoon of crispy fried onion, extra virgin olive oil, salt, Pepper and spices ras el hanout.
- Development. Brown the chicken lightly on both sides with olive oil and remove. Bone the plums and cut into quarters; Brown them in the same oil for two minutes and add the sugar. When it starts to bubble constantly, we return the chicken to the saucepan and add half a glass of broth. We let the whole cook about 15 minutes and add the cream and spices. Keep simmering for 10 minutes. Add the fried onion and leave it for 5 minutes, mixing it well. We serve immediately with a little more flush the hanout.
Claudias plum cake
- Ingredients for 4 people . 1 sheet of preferably round puff pastry, 300 g of crème fraîche or semi-whipped fresh cream, 1 M egg, 30 g of butter, 80 g of icing sugar, brown sugar to taste and 500 g of Claudius plums washed.
- Development . We heat the oven to 180º C, heat up and down and without air. In a removable nonstick mold, we place the puff pastry, cutting the excess dough. We puncture the base with a fork. Beat the egg and mix it with the sugar and the crème fraîche. We pour carefully over the dough. We place the Claudia plums boneless and cut into quarters. Sprinkle with brown sugar and divide the butter into small pieces. Bake 45 minutes or until the surface is golden brown. Let cool and refrigerate a few hours before eating the cake.
Claudias plum jam and Chinese spices
- Ingredients for 4 bottles . 1 kg of Claudius plums washed, boneless and chopped (heavy without bone), 450 gr of white or brown sugar, 3 tablespoons of Chinese spices.
- Development. In a saucepan, we put the plums with a splash of water to start the cooking. Soon they will start to boil, at which time we add the sugar stirring so that it mixes well and is distributed with the fruit. As for the Chinese spices, you can make your own mix. I have used 4 tablespoons of cinnamon powder, 2 green anises, 2 cloves, 2 ginger powder and the content of 10 cardamom pods. After grinding everything, you get a good amount that will be left over for other recipes. Add two tablespoons to the sugar and let the whole simmer for 35 minutes. It must be removed from time to time to prevent the jam from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Crush with the blender and package in sterilized cans.